Monday, February 23, 2009

Flowers





I mean really! How can someone not love flowers? I am never really clear on the names of what it is I am looking at though. I do know the Peony and the Xenia, but the other two I have no idea what they are. What I do know is that there is not a single poem or photograph that can truly express their beauty.

The Flowers by Robert Louis Stevenson

All the names I know from nurse:
Gardener's garters, Shepherd's purse,
Bachelor's buttons, Lady's smock,
And the Lady Hollyhock.

Fairy places, fairy things,
Fairy woods where the wild bee wings,
Tiny trees for tiny dames--
These must all be fairy names!

Tiny woods below whose boughs
Shady fairies weave a house;
Tiny tree-tops, rose or thyme,
Where the braver fairies climb!

Fair are grown-up people's trees,
But the fairest woods are these;
Where, if I were not so tall,
I should live for good and all.

3 comments:

Yarddawg said...

Number one is a Passion Flower and the second photo is a Rugosa Rose.

4thBG said...

The Passion Flower is amazing - may have to plant some of those.

Yarddawg said...

I should have correctly stated it is a vine, actually an annual vine, and there are several to choose from.

The Rugosa Rose is also great in full sun. No fuss, no pesticides, no fungicides or insecticides required.Flowers in summer and rose hips in winter.