Sunday, February 1, 2009

Traveling down the road of nostalgia.





Once again I headed out today looking for photographic inspiration. I decided to head up to the mountains where I used to spend time as a kid. The area includes Sparta, NC and Galax, VA. As a young teenager I roamed the dirt roads that skirted along the New River and wound through the hills pushing me back and forth over the state line for hours in a sort of half sincere attempt to get lost. Even as a kid I took pictures up there as I never tired of the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the New River. I wish I could find those negatives, but like some of my memories of that time, they seem to be lost. I was really looking forward to shooting an abandoned old church located on Little River Road aka 626. I was saddened, but not surprised to see that it had fallen in on itself. I resisted taking a picture of the remains as I prefer the vision I have of it in my head from 1984 atop my old Yamaha moped. Anyway, I took over 200 pictures which yielded about 50 or so keepers. Lots of "road to...." candidates and a few for the "left behind" series. All in all I feel much better about today's excursion to seek those deeper motives I had mentioned before.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you been to The Rex in Galax on a Friday night? Wonderful!

4thBG said...

I have not. It has been so long since I have spent any time up there. I hope to get back for the fiddler's convention one of these years though.

AMR said...

I needed some beauty in my life today (you can only attempt to find the beauty in sick children for so long) -- thanks for providing it. Beautiful pictures.

4thBG said...

Thanks AMR - I need as much as I can get these days as well - keeps the blood pressure down. Not to mention I look forward to the little road trips particularly when it involves swimming in sentiment for a while.

Anonymous said...

Our State was taking submissions for "paths" and "trails" and "roads" ... don't know if the deadline has passed though