Sunday, February 22, 2009

Traveling the Less Traveled Road


My Daughter, Alex, about to graduate from Wake Forest, mentioned to me how much she enjoyed Robert Frost. In looking at our entire family, I think its fair to say that we each have chosen something different than what the world may have expected of us. I have been looking for commentary to go along with this photograph for some time. Although used many times, there is no other more appropriate:

ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet, knowing how way leads onto way
I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference


Robert Frost

Older posts on roads and paths

No comments: