Friday, December 5, 2008

As GM goes, so goes the country.


I wonder how the men and women who had their hands on this farm truck when it rolled off the assembly line in 1960 would feel about GM today. Once the heart of US manufacturing and now the poster child of corporate mismanagement. They built the vehicles that supplied the expansion of our nation, the tanks that helped win WWII and the lunar rover that explored the moon. Now they are crippled and asking for help.

I actually learned how to drive in a 1972 Chevy Cheyenne pick up truck, took my first unsanctioned joy ride in my Step Father's GMC Jimmy and have fond memories of the day that my Dad replaced his crashed BMW (should be noted that the BMW was destroyed by a 1974 Lincoln Continental on the NJ Turnpike) with a Buick station wagon complete with the fake wood siding that was so popular in the early 1980's. Bailout or no bailout, it is the end of an era and a company that had a presence in all of our lives. Is that a tear on the left headlamp?

2 comments:

4thBG said...

I had to repost as I had failed to activate the comment moderator in my settings and a few cockroaches posted some spam. So, if you posted a valid comment, please accept my apology that your comment was deleted. Going forward we will not have this problem.

Yarddawg said...

TV announcers voice " We are having technical issues. Please stand by"

Looking forward to the blog. As always when I comment, I'm often wrong but NEVER in doubt.